Global Alternative Learning Systems (GALS) purpose is a non-profit corporation and shall be operated exclusively for educational and charitable purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or the corresponding section of any future Federal tax code. GALS main function is an educational consulting firm who create municipal education systems that connect teachers, families, and communities to provide professional educational resources on a local and global level. We will work closely with teachers, families, schools, nonprofits, government programs, and community leaders to design custom educational content based on municipality needs such as our ten municipal education programs:
- College Prep – prepare for college
- Community Mentorship and Internship- big and small business mentors in the community to work with youth (observation) and adults (internship) to build upon students’ intrinsic motivation by allowing them to choose different occupations to explore and try within their local area
- Disadvantaged and Homeless Support – provide general education and job training skills
- Cultural Arts – integrate a variety of community arts and crafts such as local music, woodwork, glassblowing, jewelry making, basket weaving, quilting, beadwork, dance, martial arts, etc.
- Financial Literacy – work with families to plan for financial future
- Homeschool and home tutoring – guide families in creating at home learning environments
- Military – offer insight into different military programs
- Mindfulness – educates the community about compassion, nonviolence, emotional hygiene, meditation, and love
- Native Language Arts – preserve, teach, and learn local native languages
- Outdoor Education – connecting local, state, and federal parks, gardens, trails, camping, shores, waterways, and nature preserves for community education on native plants, animals, and natural resources
GALS programs include grant writing, sending out ambassadors to raise social consciousness about customized educational learning systems on a local and global level, online municipal education courses, and to hold fundraising events in order to provide our professional educational services, regardless of their sex, race, ethnicity, or religion. To maximize our impact on current efforts, we may seek to collaborate with other non-profit organizations which fall under the 501(c) (3) section of the internal revenue code and are operated exclusively for educational and charitable purposes. At times, per the discretion of the Board of Directors, we may provide internships or volunteer opportunities which shall provide for involvement in said activities and programs in order to have a greater impact for change.
GALS vision is to create a municipal education system where everyone in the community can learn from anyone, any age, any time that works best, and from any location in the world.
GALS mission is to provide the best alternative learning solutions by creating municipal education systems across all communities. Community citizens will be able to choose from a wide selection of community instructors and courses that fits best with their schedules. Connecting with entire communities to uphold lifelong learning through a variety of community education programs. Collaborating with governments, corporations, educators, social workers, and other nonprofits to help educate, train, and support communities by creating educational programs that help advance education, improve the quality of life, and preservation of native languages, plants, animals, and other resources.
- Accessing information and education should be free to all
- Advancing education and quality of life for everyone in the community
- Choosing own educational paths
- Consulting with communities about their education systems
- Creating municipal education systems in communities
- Increasing financial literacy education
- Improving military awareness
- Including mindfulness and emotional hygiene education
- Learning from anyone, anywhere, at anytime, any age
- Preserving cultural arts and native languages
- Preserving native plants, animals, and natural resources
- Supporting and educating for homeless and disadvantaged
- Upholding lifelong learning
How GALS Started
Global Alternative Learning Systems (GALS) came into existence summer of 2020 during a global pandemic which caused a major disruption in our current national education system. Dr. Jaime Brainerd, Ed. D., who recently graduated in March 2020 at the start of the COVID-19 virus outbreak with her Doctorate in Educational Leadership and Technology, wrote a dissertation called, Examining Barriers to Instruction in Distance Education: A Case Study. The entire United States just happened to switch to full-time distance learning, which in turn was the impetus that led to GALS creation.
GALS was created to partner with communities, other non-profit organizations, schools, families, government leaders, and local businesses to create municipal education systems by connecting them to an online platform starting with ten educational programs run by a variety of members of the community. GALS is excited and ready to step in and assist with helping boost our nation’s education system. We have present goals to create an online platform that will connect everyone in the community with educational resources that are not offered in schools and will be available 24/7. Our future goals are to work with community leaders, businesses, teachers, families, and their local areas to take charge of their own learning through a variety of municipal education systems.